Friday 21 December 2012

Teamwork

Hey there, gamers! Making a game isn’t just all programming. There are lots of other things that are important when you make a game, like marketing for instance. And of course the social aspect of programming with a group: there’s always a bunch of other programmers, artists, organisational staff etc. with whom you all need to get along. Luckily at Rolling Barrel Studios we have an awesome, fun, crazy team of multitalented people. In todays blog I wanted to give you a little insight into our own version of teamwork...

On a peaceful monday afternoon, Sam and Maguell are happily discussing how to do a certain bit of coding when Peter Paul and me hijack the discussion.

Sam: I think we should use per pixel collision checking, or at least consider it for the playerobject.

Maguell: Maybe but we should consider how processer intensive that is, we wouldn't want fps drops.

Hasse: I agree with Maguell, it should be playable for the player.

Peter Paul: Actually, Sam has a point, we’re all about physics so it should look
realistic. Plus, its not going to be that processor intensive if we do it right.

Hasse: I disagree, we are going to have a lot of objects in our game and...

Five hours of PP and me bickering later

Corné: Damn!

Everyone else looks up in surprise...

Corné: I killed my code again. :(

..and goes back to bickering about the collision checking

Hasse: No, you’re wrong!

Peter Paul: I just think...

Luckily Sam and Maguell come to the rescue

Sam: Actually, if we just do a combination of per pixel and hitbox collision checking it might not be that much of a problem, I think.

Maguell: How about we just try it.

Hasse: Fine, just dont forget to document it. Oh and you guys still haven’t filled in the form I sent you like five whole minutes ago!

Suddenly I realise that Mandy hasnt said anything the whole time yet

Hasse: Mandy, do you agree to just try both collision systems?

Mandy: Hmmhmm.

And Mandy dissapears into her own universe again of sprites, soundtracks and creativity explosions

Peter Paul: I think we should add ponies to our game.

Hasse: No, too random, things have to make sense.

Peter Paul: Llama’s?

And to finish this blogpost of a spoiler of what we have done so far, to give you guys a laugh about how clunky, boring and buggy it still is:




Maligna for Rolling Barrel Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment